Friday, October 17, 2014

Hiking in Eurogeumol Valley





I am trying to get back into my groove of teaching since we have been having days off through out the week. We had two holidays in October, one on October 3 for the start of the Korea Foundation, and October 9 was for Korean Language Day. It is great having theses day off.. I love it and in November we don’t have any holidays off so I’m like….wtf...it’s going to be dreadful….But bouncing back to the three day weekend in the first week of October. I had planned a trip a couple of weeks in advance. I invited all the foreigners in my town to come to the hiking trip but one only managed to come. The majority of them already had plans. I also invited a few of my friends that I meet at Epik. We had a hiking trip to Eoreumgol Valley also known as the Ice Valley in Milyang. Yayy!!!...It was pretty amazing. The view was really pretty and the nature itself. When we finally reached the ice valley, we all had a cup of makgeolli…makgeolli is Korean rice wine..you might seen it around, it is like a pasty white liquid..It was very refreshing..yummy!


I was able to smell fresh air again…haha…. As you know if you live in Korea, S. Korea smells once you land in their country, in some parts of their countries some places tends to have a stronger odor than other places.…I happen to be somewhat sensitive to smell especially if it stinks…it’s almost like the smell of NYC...subway...but after living in S. Korea for awhile your nose gets use to the smell. It not too overbearing…but the air in the mountain was very fresh and I can smell the pristine nature surrounding it…hahha clean air. Hallelujah!!! After that day of hiking, everyone was exhausted because most of my friends had to take an early train especially my college friend from Cheonan…she had to take the train at 5am in the morning…so most of them were beat… After hiking, I was so excited for them to try street food in my town. We had ddeokbokki and Sun-dae.. ddeokbboki is spicy rice cake with fish cake..and as for Sun-dae it is the purple looking Korean sausage that is filled with noodles…but super flavorful. They all loved it!! We also went to have dinner at Okkudak, a fried chicken joint.


The next day, we had planned to go to Bugok hot spring.. We found out where Bugok Hawaii is which is a water park for adults and children. So for the hot spring it turned out to be a jimjilbang…wahhh!! TT We were all looking forward to the hot spring after the hike from yesterday and the exhausting week....I certainty have not been to a jimjilbang and my other friend was grossed out by the fact that she just saw an ahjumma’s vagina…lol…thank goodness I didn’t go into the lockers…baha >.<
I quickly realized that advertisement in Korea is sort of like a scam, more like every advertisement around the world. I happen to fall for them all the time but some of them hold up to their image. My excitement of joy had sunk to the ground fast about the hot spring....what a bummer!





We were all bummed out but we had other plans that we literally planned the night before…Jinju lantern festival, it was a giant lantern festival held in Jinju and it was beautiful especially at night. They had lined up white tents that was selling food, snacks, blankets, lanterns, fortuneteller and much more…After enjoying are day at Jinju, we went to Masan to my friends' apartment. I was so jealous because she had a big apartment. It was twice the size of my apartment. She even received an allowance to buy new furniture which was awesome…after dropping are stuff off, we all got ready to go out to Changwon. We ended up taking a taxi because the bus doesn’t run to Changwon that late. During are ride to Changwon, we had a lot of hardcore stares inside are taxi. I even called one out to my friends…It is typically normal, if you are extremely white like my friend. She is really white, her skin is a pasty white that Koreans love..hahah I look like a tall a** Asian but I can pass as a Korean, which many Koreans think I am…but when I reply in English..there like Migukk…hhahah..Anyways, we went to an Irish pub called O’Brien. It wasn’t poppin’ like a normal Saturday night would. It was kinda of dead…but when we entered I was bombarded by two tall black men, welcoming me hahaha they were amazed by my height..and asked how tall I am…Blahh..Blah…like any typically tall person questions..hahaha They left after asking all these questions but they were cool.. and I can totally see that they are a little tipsy..We had a girl’s night out having a couple of drinks… After drinking, I wanted ice cream so we ended up going to a CU, buying ice cream and getting another beer. Hahaha What can I say, I love ice cream!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment