Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Year of the Sheep

     @@@@@@@@
    @^_^@@@@@@
      @@@@@@@
       !!  !!
The Lunar New's Year is widely celebrated in Southeast Asia. In Korea, school was closed from February 18 to the 20 to celebrate the year of the sheep. I was invited over my Korean friend's house for Lunar New's Year. I was happy that I didn't have to stay in my one room apartment that mini vacation. I was excited to see how Lunar New Years was celebrated in a Korean's household. 

My family at home was also celebrating Lunar New Years. We are also Buddhist and the way the Korean's were celebrating Lunar New Years is very similar to our culture. During my stay I was able to see the majority of my her family members on her father's side first. Pray to the deceased family members for respect and praying to the Buddhas for the families to prosper, for happiness, for longevity and for wealth. After respectfully praying the young members of the family would greet the living elders for good fortune, longevity, and health and do three full Korean bows. After each one of the family members would get money from the elders. 

It's just a little different from my culture. We would also do the same wishing are elders for longevity, wealth, happiness and for the family to prosper. After we would give are elders a hug or kiss instead of bowing and we would get a red envelope with an anonymous amount of money. This could also be that we are a bit Americanized.
After the incense sticks burned all the way down, it was time to remove the food from the table and be served for lunch. My mother once told me that while the incense were burning down it gave time for the Buddhas and deceased to enjoy the food freely. 

The next day we went to her Grandmother's house to see her mother side of the family and do the same process over again. From there we had a nice traditional lunch made by her grandma and I have to say her grandmother can cook. It was so delicious. I thought we would go to a temple but we didn't that is also another thing that was different. My family would go to the temple and pray to Buddha on Lunar New Years. I had a great time spending the Lunar New Years with her family. It was a great experience and memories to be cherished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment