Sunday, June 7, 2015

Top 5 things you need to know about MERS-CoV in South Korea

Top 5 things you need to know about MERS-CoV in South Korea

picture is from www.medicalnewstoday.com

1. MERS-CoV (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) is a viral respiratory illness originated from Saudi Arabia, first reported in 2012.  
2. It causes severe acute respiratory illness, including fever, cough, shortness of breath, diarrhea, nausea, & vomiting, more severe complications that follow is pneumonia & kidney failure.
3. There is no vaccine. There is only medication for the side effects of MERS to help relieve the symptoms.
4. MERS is not an airborne, as there has not been much research to determine the factors. It is believed to be transmitted by contact.
5. To prevent getting MERS, wash you hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. Cover you nose & mouth with a tissues. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, & mouth with unwashed hands. Avoid personal contact, such as sharing cups, eating utensils, kissing, & etc.

The past couple of weeks I have been so paranoid about getting sick. I have been constantly washing my hands before eating or just if I feel like it's dirty. My hands are not really great to shake someone's hands right now. They are soooo dry. I also stayed away from my students as far as I can. I have been avoiding all contacts from my students, Korean teachers and I have also been cleaning my teaching area. I have been very caution with mostly everything. The news is also not helping, signs being plastered about MERS in South Korea, fifth person dies..ya...da..ya..da. This is how bad my paranoia is. I was about to buy rubber gloves so when I go outside my hands are not touching the surface. I also been showering head to toe before entering my bedroom after being outside in crowded places. I know I am probably being ridiculous but I'm being very caution and trying to prevent from contracting the illness that has no vaccine. Welp! There is my little scope about MERS.

Be safe everyone! I hope this goes away now.

No comments:

Post a Comment