Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Flying to South Korea to teach English

     I know I have been late updating on my blogs lately, but I have to tell you it has been a long busy journey here in South Korea. I booked a one way ticket for June 29th 2014 and I would arrive in South Korea June 30th. Which is the date Alistair told me to arrive on in order for him to pick me up. I booked through Korean Air which cost me 1300 USD. It was very expensive for a one way ticket but I bought it last minute. I wrote it on my other post of what happened on why it was last minute so if you like to read it: Click here. I am not a big fan flying. Let me tell you a short story about my Delta airplane ride to Costa Rica.
     Last summer, I went to Costa Rica and that plane ride (Delta) had a lot of turbulence for some reason. I'm blaming it on the rain. Anyways, it was not a pleasant ride for me at all. My ears were clogged which was giving me a headache. I was also getting nausea at the same time. I felt like my anxiety level was up through the roof that day. It was a 6 hour plane ride and it was late and I could not even sleep at all. The seats were so uncomfortable and the person sitting in front of me kept pushing his seat back and it was hitting my knees which really hurt by the way. I had barely any leg room what so ever. Thanks to the person in front of me you even made my plane ride even more unpleasant with Delta airlines. The turbulence was getting to me. My stomach had the dropping feeling every few minutes. My eyes were wide open, and I was gripping on the seat handles so tight I'm surprise it didn't break. The landing was also so rough like a roller coaster ride. Everyone on that plane was bouncing up and down. Thank goodness for seat belts or else. So as you can see I'm not a flyer at all or that Delta airlines needs a new pilot...Anyways back to the day I was flying out to South Korea. 
    My older sister drove me to the JFK airport along with my niece and my mum which was a 2 hour drive. We went really early just in case there is traffic or accidents that was holding us back and the fact that I did not want to miss my $1300 dollar flight. I bought my ticket online so I had to pick up my tickets at the counter. I checked in an hour early at Korean Air and they were really nice. I went a few pounds over with my luggages' and the receptionist said this time she will let it go but next time she will charge me for it. Also the receptionist gave me an option with seats with more leg room because she saw that I was tall. I am 6'3. I pretty tall for an Asian. After she finished checking me in, I was waiting for the receptionist to hand me back my passport. There was an awkward pause. She asked me if I needed anything else since I was standing there. She forgotten to give back my passport which is really important when you are leaving the US and that was why I was standing there. So she chuckled and gave me my passport back. So far I am impressed with the service at Korean Air. 
     I had my last meal with my mum, sister, and my niece at the airport which the food was not great. What can I say, it is the airport after all. After eating, it was time for me to line up for the checkpoint. So I gave my hugs and kisses to my mum, sister and my niece before lining up for the checkpoint and they were waiting for me to pass the checkpoint before leaving. The flight was a 14 hour flight to Seoul. The Korean air's airplane was a two decker which I have never seen before or been on. I was a bit nervous about it being two floors. It was really nice and clean when I was walking in. The seat that I got was in the middle, which wasn't to bad. I did have enough leg room which was great. I was also comfortable. Everyone receive a blanket, headphones, pair of slippers, and I think that is about it. All the items were sealed with plastic which assured me that it was clean. The departure was really smooth. Korean air provided two meals, snacks and beverages. The first meal I got was Bibimbap which was not that bad at all. There are about 3 choices to choose from. I had pickled pickles with hot pepper, side of peaches, red wine, and a bowl of seaweed soup.
This was lunch time. The second meal was dinner I forgot to take a picture. I just remember it being chicken and vegetables with a side of mash potatoes. This time around it was more westernized. The flight attendant would walk around and give us snacks once in awhile which was great. The flight was really smooth and there was barely any turbulence at all and as for the landing I barely felt anything. I was really comfortable on this plane ride. I didn't have the dropping stomach feeling at all. The service was great and I really liked my experience with Korean Air. I will consider Korean Air in my future flying plans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment