Monday, July 21, 2014

Employment offer to teach English in South Korea


     After waiting for a week or so after the interview, I received an email from Alistair Wery with exciting news. An employment offer from Gyungnam Office of Education for Chodong Elementary School in Milyang. I was really excited. I was literally prancing around my house with joy. I was so excited to share the news with my family and friends. I called each and everyone of my family members and close friends to let them know. They all knew I was doing something crazy like always. 
     Back to the contract, even though commencement was July 1st in the email. Alistair had emailed me a different arrival date which stated in the email, July 30. I had put in my two weeks resignation letter the beginning of the last week of June for my current employer at that time. I was leaving my job the first week of July and I was planning to spend the rest of July with my family before leaving to South Korea. Alistair had sent me an email, asking me for a good time to call me. (I'm thinking, he wants to check up on me on how I am doing?) Alistair and I were chatting and I told him all my documents were completed. Before hanging up Alistair said, " I will meet you next Monday." I said, "Wait, what?" I was confused.
 I immediately started asking questions and reconfirming with him if June 30 was the correct date. He reconfirmed that the date is June 30. I even told him that he sent me the wrong date in the email so 
I resent the email he sent me stating July 30. He did apologize via email but I honestly think it should been on the phone. I also blame myself for not doubling checking with Alistair verbally.      

 At this point, I have not even packed yet. I didn't even buy my plane ticket. I had several days before leaving. Alistair had told me the WRONG date. I needed to fly out June 29 to South Korea. I had to arrive June 30 in order for Alistair to pick me. I was so frustrated and a bit angry. I literally bought my plane ticket after getting off the phone with Alistair. I purchased my plane ticket through Korean Air. 
For the remaining days I had left in America, I was baffled and packing like a lunatic. I had to repack literally 5 times because my luggages were way to heavy. I also did not have time to pack the items I have at home in storage boxes like I planned too. I didn't have times to say goodbye to my close friends.But, I was excited to begin the next journey of my life in South Korea. This is my experience before leaving the United States and it was hectic.




No comments:

Post a Comment