Monday, June 8, 2015

Getting Contacts & Glasses in South Korea

It is about that time of the year for my eye check up and I did it in South Korea while I was in Haeundae for the weekend. I went to Eye One Optic and the service was pretty amazing. I didn't really speak much Korean and it was totally fine. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The Ophthalmologist helping me knew English pretty well. First, I was captured by there sales on glasses frames' for only $10. This deal is definitely much cheaper than in America. They are not designer brands but are decent. The check-up was considered the free service for purchasing there glasses. There are different pricing for the lenses. 

Base: 60,000 Won (Lenses are thicker, the more expensive the lenses the thinner the lenses)
Average: 110,000 Won
Best: 200,000 Won
Before I left to go to Korea I purchase brand new glasses and they cost around $200 US dollars (not including the check up fee) and the glasses was not a designer brand either. I was able to purchase a black frame glasses with my prescription lenses for 110,000 Won ($100 US dollars). I also looked at the Freshlook circle lenses and I was able to sample the 5 different types. My eyes were so red from putting on so many different contact lenses.
There is a large selection prescription circle lenses that is available but most of the brands do not have it for astigmatism, which I happen to have, a fancy word for deformed distorted eyes. (irregular shape of the cornea)

The circle lenses has 30 pairs, one box for the left & the right eye that are use once a day only, but can be use more than once for me. Each box cost $40 dollars. They have been very comfortable just like contacts, make your pupil just slightly larger but it is very natural looking. I did not get the ones that look like alien eyes, made be for Halloween. 
For service, I received contact solution & another case to hold my other glasses. In total it cost 190,000 Won ($180 USD) for a month supply of contacts and a pair of glasses. What was really surprising is that, my glasses and contacts were ready in ONE hour. That is how fast the service is. In America, I have to wait at least two weeks to get my contacts and glasses. So I was really amazed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment