Monday, June 8, 2015

Official Open Class: May 11th

My teaching contract is coming to an end which is July 1st. I had an open class at my main school. It is like a teacher's observation were several well known english teachers evaluates the Native English teachers with their co-teacher. This is pretty much were they score your teaching ability and see if you are worth resigning with, again!) Lets be real here, I do not have a co-teacher that teaches with me at my main school. (sitting in the back of the class or disappearing is not consider co-teaching!)

Last Friday, three days before my open class, the science teacher and I had to practice our roles of teaching together. I found that a bit odd, because he was not one of the homeroom teachers, that I am suppose to teach with. I asked about this issue and their response was that he knew the most English. O.o I have handed my lesson plan for my open class two weeks ago prior to my open class. I have lesson planned alone as usual and went on my merry way. He asked me what role he should "play". His role particularly was just standing there and doing comprehension questions to make sure the students understood the information I was teaching them. I am use to making my lesson super simple and understandable for the students since I don't have a co-teacher.


On the day of my open class, my real co-teacher did not inform me that the open class was at a different time from my daily schedule. I figured after not having class that morning and went upstairs to talk about the time of my open class. I was a bit frustrated because there was a language barrier and communication problem between us. I was not aware of anything, this goes the same with holiday, breaks, and school events. I would usually hear about it the day of, if I'm lucky. I started to be proactive and ask them every week, if there was a holiday, break, or school event that was happening. To my surprise, sometimes they were not aware of it. I'm not buying it all. A school year calendar is always made ahead of time before the school year even starts.


After my open class was finish, the evaluators, my fake co-teacher, my real co-teacher and myself went to the science room to discuss about our teaching style. We were critized about our teaching style and I was asked questions about my co-teacher of why he doesn't participate as much. (Running through my head: I teach only how do I explain this!) Questions also included, "Do you lesson plan with your teacher?", "When do you prepare the lesson plan?" and etc. I was not able to answer those questions because I did not want to put anyone in a bad position, so my real co-teacher started talking in Korean. They talked for almost 30 minutes, while I passively smile at them. I have to say I did a pretty great job teaching my students alone for this long. I go above and beyond for my lessons.


After two weeks have passed, I brought up the question about my renewal. Apparently this week will be the time for discussing my renewal. I'll see what will happen next.


Anyone have open class experiences?




No comments:

Post a Comment