Monday, January 23, 2017

Renewing Contract in Korea

July-December 2015
June
-Health Checkup
Jinyeong Hospital with my coteacher
Before resigning my contract for the following year, I had to get a health checkup to make sure I don't have any diseases, illnesses, and etc. Upon getting one, I had to make sure that I have brought my passport photo, passport, money ($50), and my arc card. My co-teacher had gave me a list of hospitals that would accommodate for the necessary health checkup that is required for the renewal. It was mostly in Korean so it was a bit difficult but he pointed to the ones that was the closest  hospital. He mentioned that I also been to the Jinyeong Hospital when I arrived in Korea to get a health checkup last year but to be honest I didn't even remember because I was so jet-lagged. All I remember was the science teacher who spoke the most English at the school picked me up. (Barely)  He drove me around to get several things done. Also my memory of getting their was very vague since we used a car. I really did not know how he thought I was getting there. Anyways, I had to go back and double check with him before wandering off to find the hospital. My co-teacher than insisted on taking me to the hospital near our school. The hospital was about 35 minutes away from Chodong. I had an early leave for school for the health checkup so, I was exempt from teaching after school classes but after we headed back to school where I sat at my desk until the bell rang. 

-Passport Photos
Finding a place to take passport photo can be a bit difficult, especially if you've live in a small town. I walked around my neighborhood were most of the shopping stores where located and I was able to find a family portrait studio....but it was closed...I have seen a photo booth of some sort at my grocery store, homeplus. I took the chance to head over and to my amazement the booth was a small photo booth for passport photos. Theses are the one you would see back home to take pictures with your friends and etc but this was dedicated to specifically professional photos for applications, visas, passport photos, and etc.

By this time I am a sweating pig walking to Homeplus, my hair was slowly getting soaked along my hairline. My pit sweat was seeping through my underarms. It wasn't pretty. As soon as I got to Homeplus I looked for the passport photo booth. I sat there for a good 15 minutes to cool down and dry out my sweat. It was literally like a mini photo booth except it was for passport photos. It was 10,000 Won ($9-10 USD) for about 15 passport photos. Phew! Mission Accomplished!

-Contract Renewal Process

The question that was brought up to me after the first couple of months working in Korea was "Will you resign for the next year?". I was flattered that I was asked to resign but my answer was not definite. I was still getting the feel around South Korea and still trying to figure my way around the spectrum of teaching. So I simply said, "I don't know yet." After a year flew by, I decided to resign my contract to save money and pay for my undergraduate loan that has accumulated over the years. I have resigned my contract with the main school principal that hired me along side my co-teacher. The salary was incorrect so I have told my co-teacher and he said that he would fix it. I firmly told my co-teacher that I trust him so I've signed it since I was hesitated on signing the contract. Here goes to another year of happily teaching English. I have to say time is flying by faster than I've expected while I'm in South Korea.

-Busan Immigration Office

After resigning my contract for another year, I had to go to the immigration office and extend my stay in Korea or else I will be illegally living in Korea. Which will most likely result in deporting my butt to the states. The immigration office has changed location from the last time I went. It is relocated near Seomyeon. It takes about an hour to get my arc card renewed.

How to get to Busan Immigration office from Busan station:

Walking out from the main entrance of the station, make a left and walk along the sidewalk and walk until you pass an overpass. Keep walking straight until you see a nice vintage coffee boutique. You will see the Korean Air building, walk up those steps and once you enter it is right in front of you.

The address is 146 Jungang-daero, Jung-gu, Busan. In case you get lost, call the office 051-4613-0916.

The immigration office services include registration, visa application & extension, citizenship and other immigration related matters.

Just a fair warning, some of the workers at the immigration office are not as friendly as they are so busy.





No comments:

Post a Comment